In 1917 a group of sixty investors pooled together $20,000 to organize the Farmers & Merchants State Bank of Tolna. The Banks first facility was the NT Halvorson Building leased for $10 a month. 1919 brought change to the community when the Farmers & Merchants Bank purchased the State Bank and moved into its facility at the present location of 101 North Main Street.
The stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression that followed, crippled our nation and banks failed in record numbers. The Farmers & Merchants Bank survived with the help of sound management and financial assistance from the First National Bank of Minneapolis and the Reconstruction of Finance Corporations providing loans during the most difficult time.
In 1933 the Bank joined the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and enjoyed the benefit of insuring customer deposits. In August of 2001 the Bank opened a new branch in Binford and in 2013 Tolna Bancorporation (parent company of Farmers & Merchants Bank) purchased all shares of McVille Financial Service Corporation (parent company of McVille State Bank).
2013 also brought a change in name from Farmers & Merchants State Bank to Farmers & Merchants Bank of North Dakota, to better recognize the Banks footprint in the Tolna, McVille, and Binford communities.
It has truly been the pleasure of four generations of management and staff to serve such a community as an independent community Bank.
-Robert Engen, President
Farmers & Merchants State Bank of Tolna bank building